Flash News

The new website www.smaranoacademy.com is online.

 
Smarano

Image 

Smarano is a little village in Trentino Region, it currently has 420 inhabitants, it is placed at 1.000 meters a.s.l. in Non Valley, 42 Km. North from Trento, in the northern part of Italy south of the Austrian border. The recent escavation of the Church's floor revealed clear relics of ancient roman  life in the village , alteady certified in the past  decades by findings of Roman  statues of the second century and many other small objects of the same age: these relics are shown in a small interesting archeologic museum in Sanzeno ( 5 kms from the Village).

 Image

The magnificent church, built for the first time in 1284, was renovated in gothic style in 1407 and rebuilt during the years 1759-64 in baroque style,  it is one of the most appreciated pieces in the Valley. The church today has five polychrome marble altars. The pictures above the altars are precious, especially the one above the Main Altar, painted by V. Italiani, a clear Venetian school, which represents the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, to whom is dedicated the church. The tables of the Via Crucis are also admirable, by A. F. Vanzo painter from Cavalese, painted between 1799 and 1819.

ImageImage

ImageImage

The square, situated in the heart of the village, is also one of the most large  in the Valley. In the ancient times it used to be the place where the village council (called "Regola") of Smarano, and the near villages of Coredo and Sfruz used to gather. It is faced by the impressive church and the bell tower.

Image

Smarano preserves essentially the traditional aspect of rural centre regardless of the numerous restructuring works made in the most recent years and the demands of a tourism in constant evolution: it is a favourite place chosen by people who love relax and pleasing contact with the lovely and well preserved surrounding environment of mountains and woods.